Saturday, May 18, 2013

What I learned this past semester :or: the start of something new

I'm going to start something, to try and make myself update more frequently. I'm going to start Friday fun facts, and just share something. Every Friday. So if nothing else, I will post on Fridays.

So. I've learned a lot of stuff over this past semester. Actually, prolly the whole academic year, but everything before January seems like a lifetime ago, so we're going to focus on this semester.
While I've learned a ton in all my classes, I'm going to focus mostly on the things I learned outside of the classroom. Some are things about myself, some just random things. But all things I've learned about myself.

  • First off, I need my sleep. It's very important to me that I get my sleep, and if it means I sleep between 12 and 14 hours on Saturday and Sunday, so be it. 
  • Maya is actually a enormously enjoyable program, and I'm so happy I got to experience it more, and become fairly comfortable in it.
  • Laughing till you think you might legitly pee yourself is an amazing feeling. Not the feeling like you might pee, but just laughing that much.
  • In life, my main goal is to be happy. It's what I want to be when I grow up.
  • My secondary goal is to love people.
  • Sometimes you need to get away from people.
  • It is completely fine and okay to say no. Your mental and emotional health is more important than agreeing to do something, just because you want to please someone else.
  • Just because you might not like how you look, or like your body does not mean you don't love yourself. It is fine to not feel okay in your own skin.
  • McDonald's sweet tea is actually wonderful, and I never knew that till a couple weeks ago.
  • Sometimes people you consider "too cool" for you are just as nerdy, and make great friends.
  • It's okay to be uncertain about what you want to do. The rest of your life is a long time, and you should take all the fucking time you need. I'm actually going to share a video done below that I feel perfectly says that.
And finally:

  • I want to make stuff that I'm proud of. I want to be able to look at what I've done and say, "I'm so fucking proud of this. You don't understand, I made this, and I'm PROUD of it." Honestly, when I feel really satisfied with something I've done, good grades or praise is just a nice little side benefit.

I also wanted to share this video with everyone. As someone who honestly doesn't know what the fuck she really REALLY wants to do after college, it's so wonderful to hear someone talk about this.


But honestly, I get so pissed when I hear people say, "Oh, Abi wants to do this, or go on to do this, or work at this studio." Bitch, no. You do not get to tell people that, and half the time you get it wrong. Please, stop. I mean, I know what I enjoy now, and I have tentative thoughts of what I'd like to do after I graduate. But I have heard people say I want to work for Disney, and that's not true. I mean, I would love to work for Disney, and it would be such an honor, but it's not my dream (ironic, huh?)

All I know for the future is I want to make stuff I am fucking proud of, and be happy.

Quick pick up line time!


No comments:

Post a Comment