Saturday, December 17, 2011

Dear Joel, or accepting other people's point of views

This is another blog from my old blog, one where it felt like the whole class was ganging up on this one kid, just for being offended by swearing and the like. I felt it was necessary to write an entire blog just to him, because it needed to be said. And it needed to be said in a right way. One that wouldn't make him feel like he had to defend himself, or that he was being attacked. Lots of other people I talked to said that they thought he needed to grow up. I thought it was sweet. Is he right? Is he wrong? I personally felt the opposite of him, but I don't know if that means he's wrong, per say. You know? It seems like a Narnia to me. We read about it, and we'd like to believe it exists, but we just can't bring ourselves to believe it's true.


Dear Joel
I like you. I mean I barely know you. But I just want you to know, I'm not sitting there on my high horse, thinking you to be stupid, or naive. I'm sure you're not. I'm not trying to say, you're so very wrong. Or that since I'm right, you must be wrong. And if you ever feel like I (or the whole class) just isn't getting, and you just want to yell at us, that's cool. I've felt like that over other stuff. And I actually feel sad that there is no one else in the class who raised their hand when Leeper asked if anyone else feels the same as you. It seems like it would be hard and lonely to be the only one with that important thought/value.
I want you to know, I do admire you for standing up and saying what you believe. That takes balls. Even if it is just over the blogs, were we can write everything. It's a different genre in the everything scope. I find it easier to get my thoughts out online, where I can think first. Carefully pick this word or that till it's crafted just right. In class, though, even if I have a thought, I won't share it. I'm not that brave.
I do think it would be lovely to be in a world with out any cussing, swearing, debauchary, drug- taking or wrongness. I wasn't being sarcastic. But I also feel strongly about showing the colors as they should be. Maybe it's because I am someone who likes to draw, and I am someone who sees the world very visually, but as I was sitting in class listening to the Debate, the thing that came to my mind was coloring. A rather childish yet fun thing to do. But I was thinking, if you're trying to draw the Little Mermaid (the iconic Disney Ariel) then what color are you going to color her hair? Blue? Gray? No. If you are going to truly draw Ariel, then her hair is going to be red. And not a light pink, or a deep mahogany, it is going to be a bright, brilliant red. It wouldn't be true to her if you made it any other color.
You also asked how do I deal with my mind being actively involved with a movie, and added "Let not my heart be drawn to what is evil, to take part in wicked deeds with men who are evildoers; let me not eat of their delicacies". I believe there is a difference between being drawn to what is evil and taking part in what is evil and acknowledging exists. In fact, I think the verse is a plea. I mean, I don't know about anyone one else, but I am definitely drawn towards evil. I don't know if anyone's noticed, but I have a semi dirty mind. That's what she said jokes are hilarious. I've lied before, and even when in some situations where I stay strong and don't lie the temptation is still there. Often, my first reaction is to be a jerk. (I was going to use a different word, but I restrained myself for you) I'm human. We all have flaws, humanities. It's what makes us human. What makes us relate with other humans, or even just characters in films.
I also feel that if you take away all the bad stuff, you don't give the chance to heal. Bad stuff happens. Death. Betrayal. Vices. Immorality. Falsifying. No, it's not right. And yes, we all know it exists. But if you have a story, and nothing bad happens, or the characters are all good people doing good things in a good story, where's the growth?
I normally add pictures that are pictures. I think except for times where I posted videos, they've all been drawings or paintings. But I felt like photos would be better in this case. Because with photography, at least with the old school version, all you can do is capture what's there. If there's a picture of an old, broken man with a bottle of Jack with tattoos of naked women on his arms, then your picture is going to be of an old, broken man with the bottle of Jack, with tattoos of naked women on his arms. And it can be beautiful. It can be the truth. It doesn't ask you how you feel, or ask if you don't agree. It just lays there. Just asking to be seen. And heard.
I don't comment on a lot of blogs. I don't like just having trite comments, like OMIGOSHHES ME 2!!! Or I agree. Or I like your face. Or you suck. I want to be the type of commenter who adds to the conversation, not just the comments. I also don't want to offend anyone, though I know you can't please everyone, and even if you could, I'll probably end up offending someone soon any ways. I'm not very good at keeping my thoughts to myself. Especially when I'm tired, than I have a hard time just shutting up, never mind editing my thoughts. But sometimes it's important to speak up. I feel like on your blogs, I like what I hear, but I can't except it. I think a tiny bit of it might be from being close to my uncle who feels he can't go to church, because he feels he won't be welcomed. Or the DC Talk song that says the number one reason that people don't come to Christ is because of Christians who say they follow Jesus with their mouths but don't follow him with their actions. (That might not be verbatim, I haven't heard that song in a long time.)The thing with Christians in movies- They're probably following a stereotype. And stereotypes all start somewhere. There's always a reason why those stereotypes started. Always.

If you made it to the end of this, I want to reaffirm what I said at the top. I like you. You seem like a nice person. It would be cool to be friends with you. I feel like I never see you on campus except for this class.... I mean, maybe you passed by, and I just never noticed, because I was busy being oblivious or something. I hope you don't feel singled out, or that you're in the wrong. I don't think you're in the wrong, I mostly think it's a bit unrealistic, and a bit untruthful. But maybe that's your calling. To make films that are untainted. That are unapologetically wholesome and sunny. And if that is your calling, I hope you do amazing in that.

I found this quote in one of the artist's comments on one of the pictures I almost used. And I thought it fit. It didn't have who said it, though. We were all affected. But you were affected directly. Or at least, in a more obvious way than us. And since you were affected, we were affected indirectly. And I'm pretty sure it's a good thing. So, thank you.

“Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality."


I hope you're nice and dry, and doing something that makes you happy right now.
Love, me <3



Also, there were actual photos at the top (we had to have photos or videos in our blogs) but as they did not belong to me, and this is public to the web, I didn't want to accidentally post someone's artwork if they didn't want it posted. If I find it on tumblr or flickr, and it's already been reblogged hundreds of times, I wouldn't feel as bad about it, but the pictures I had used were from people's personal Deviantart.

 Pick up line time!!!
I could be in a room full of people, and you would still be the only person to catch my eyes.
Let's flip a coin. Heads, you're mine. Tails, I'm yours.
Do you like soda? Cause I'd love to Mountain Dew you.
I thought happiness started with an H, so why does my happiness start with an U?
Time together is never quite enough.
If I used spell check it would turn you&I into us.
If you ever go into the woods, and a bear attacks you, I hope it doesn't eat your face, cause I think you're cute.
I hope your day has been as beautiful as you are. :)
There are 21 letters in the alphabet, right? Oh! I forgot... U R A Q T
I've had a terrible day, but it always makes me happy when a gorgeous person smiles at me. Will you smile for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment