Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Not Alone

So, Glee came on again last night. So good. So much Darren. And my friend Danielle was practically in tears during all the Darren Criss- y goodness. (Like when he was in the shower. Which was my favorite part as well)

But then she wrote a blog about why she loves Darren Criss, and Team Starkid. And it was beautiful. And it made me want to write a blog about why I love Darren and Starkid so much.

Growing up, I didn't have an abundance of friends, or really close friends. My sister is 5 and half years older than me, so she pretty much stopped playing with me about when I was 7. I was homeschooled and lived about an hour away from most the people I know. Off a highway, so I don't even really have neighbors. Don't get me wrong, I went out and did stuff with people. I wasn't a total recluse. But I never had a chance to get to be bosom buddies with anyone. I always pictured myself as Anne Shirley, but I had no Dianna to run and play with. And so, my bestest closest friends that I cherished the most, (and still dearly loved), were books. Through middle school and high school, the highlight of my week was always going to the library to get an assload of books. New friends, old friends. Some I left as acquaintances, which I never fell in love with, but I still recognize them on the shelves. Others I fell deeply and ardently in love with, and I read and re-read them like crazy.

Somewhere in highschool, between my Junior and Senior year, I discovered A Very Potter Musical. And I loved it. Also, about when I started, they had just put out A Very Potter Sequel. And I just watched it and loved it. I went on to watch Me and My Dick, and then when Starship came out I watched, got the album, would've gotten the shirts, but I had no money for it. On Friday, yes this Friday, April the 13th, Starkid's next musical comes out. And you can bet your ass I will be watching it. Possibly much more than once.

You see, the magical thing about Starkid, more than them being college students who wrote and put on these amazing musicals, more than them becoming super popular and still incredibly nice, The thing is..... They made me feel like I wasn't alone. Whether it was Harry Freaking Potter finally finding a home at Hogwarts, or a dick finding true love, or Bug becoming a Starship Ranger, they were all there for me. Through their musicals, and their cuteness, and their nerdiness. They are just lovely human beings.

They gave me hope for college. That I would find friends there, and we would go on to do great things, and be supermegaawesomefoxyhot friends. As someone who is really shy/awkward around people she doesn't know, I was super nervous about going to college, if I would become friends with anyone, if people would like me. Actually, I talked with people the very first week about Team Starkid. And we're still good friends. Actually the people I talked to are now some of my best friends on campus.

Starkid told me I'm not alone. That I need to kick it up a notch, that there's no way we're giving up, that I don't know me, the way they do. And when it's time, in less than a month, to say goodbye to all these wonderful people I've come to love for summer break, Days of Summer will be constantly playing. Along with Gotta Get Back to Hogwarts.

And I would just like to say, bless Joe Walker's abs. Just.... just bless them....

1 comment:

  1. You are wonderful. This post is wonderful. I am just so glad that we are friends and have been able to bond over something as truly amazing as Harry Potter, Darren Criss, and Team Starkid. <3

    ReplyDelete