Tuesday, September 16, 2014

I'm just always such a sucker for fairytales

I have such a problem with fairytales. I love them, but maybe that's not quite strong enough a term. I fucking adore them. All throughout my childhood, I consumed books with such a passion, and fairytales (and fantasy and scify but mostly fairytale) were always my favorite.

Like, I'm still a bit really obsessed with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and I just got a tattoo that's my favorite quote from Peter Pan. (and also means something more to me cause anxiety. So like a double whammy) If something is fairytale themed or fairytale esque, I am at least willing to give it a chance. Except Once Upon a Time, cause it seems like they're are just sucking Disney's dick for views and I'm not about that life. OUaT is now one of those things that make me irrationally mad whenever I think about it. I used to watch it and now it's just like staawp it what are you doing with your life

But fairytales. I've always been obsessed, and I prolly always will be. There's something dreamy and whimsical and mystical that just makes me feel satisfied and sated. They just lend themselves so nicely and you can read them and you feel like maybe you have new knowledge but it doesn't feel pushed on you. Fairytales are tales unapologetic, and that is something I'm all about. Just putting yourself out there and saying here I am. This is where I am, and this is where I stay. I am waiting for vazinni. Like, people tend to just accept these charming old fables. Whether they like these stories or nah, they still just accept them.

And they can become so dark and twisted, and sometimes they don't end how we want them to, and that can be so important. These are safe places. These are places we can see things from a different point of view but also from where we are and where we are coming from. We can face the dragon, and we can know that the dragon can be defeated, and we can do this while surrounded by blankets and tea. Or we can fall down the rabbit hole and get lost and discover that even though we might almost lose our heads, we will still make it home back to Dinah. I'm not going to mention Peter Pan cause that is so deliciously haunting and doesn't always leave us with a comfortable feeling in our stomachs, and it shouldn't. It's definitely a cautionary tale.

But fairytales take us from where we are and place us in our dreams without having to fall asleep. This seems to be something the church especially seems to forget constantly. They preach the good news, and then spend the other 93% of time assuming that now that you know the good news, casual mentions of this whimsical intricate tale is enough. Like, well, these people all know the story, now lets only drop super obscure references and hope it gives enough comfort to all these basic parishioners.

We do need more of the whimsy, more of the mystical, of the magical, of the enchanting. Hook me on this fantasmical tale, don't just mention it and then string me along with casual mentions while making me feel like shit. Spin me a web of wonder and hope mixed with the shitty fucked up bits, cause they all belong together. They are all part of the same story, not things that are to be proclaimed separately. The comedy, tragedy, and fairytale should all be entwined as that's what life just is.

We are the kids running around, not knowing where we are going or where we will end up, but dammit we are going to experience it anyways. Life is this wonderful, beautiful thing. Let's not fool ourselves and pretend everything is golden and perfect, but get through it all by knowing while things might not be perfect there will be golden days out there, and maybe happy every after is a thing we can experience and not just dream about.


I could prolly go on and on and on until happy ever after, so I'm going to wrap this up. Have a beautiful poem that vaguely relates [click here you presh lil human] .
The bottom 3 pictures are from James A. Owen's The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, which is my favorite series.

 Have a great day. Or don't. You do you.

(I also wrote this in a blog thing full of a bunch of christian ish students at a christian university. In case you're like, there is a lot more about the church than typical. Yeah. I know. I thought I should bring it all together more.)


No comments:

Post a Comment